Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cuisine: Jason's Simple Salsa for Queerly Complex People... (draft)

I love tomatoes, especially any of the heirloom variety. I didn't used to like them. Growing up I always had to eat them with a little sugar sprinkled over the top just like my grandpa, or they had to be in a spaghetti sauce or in a salsa.

Then, I grew up and my palate changed. I now love tomatoes. Love them. They are perfect raw or cooked; in salads, on sandwiches, or in soups. If they are an heirloom variety, I can just take a giant bite out of them and eat them like an apple. I absolutely can't get enough of them.

Tomatoes are the main reason I love, love, love salsa. This recipe takes a simple salsa and spruces it up with some nectarine. Now, you maybe thinking, "Why in the world is a nectarine doing in salsa?" The answer is,"It tastes damn good. That's why!"

You're just going to have to trust me on this one. Go out and buy a tasty nectarine, a beautiful tomato, and enjoy this very tart, sweet, spicy, and salty salsa.


***
You Will Need:
1 Nectarine
1 large Heriloom Tomato
1 Serrano Pepper, cored and seeded
1/2 Yellow Onion
1 Yellow Pepper
2 tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Sugar
Grape Seed Oil

What To Do:
Dice nectarines and tomatoes.
Slice the pepper thinly.
Thinly slice yellow onion length-wise.
Chop yellow pepper in thin, short slices.
Combine ALL ingredients.
Let sit 30 minutes or longer.
Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment