Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cuisine: Jason's WILD Fruit Salad!

I think fruit salad is underrated. I remember the fruit salads of my youth, the kind with Cool Whip, maraschino cherries, canned fruit cocktail, and possibly jello. Now, that kind of fruit salad is definitely not underrated. I can't really put a spoonful of it in my mouth today.

But that isn't the only kind of fruit salad. As I grew older and grew a deeper appreciation for fresh fruits and vegetables, I started making loads of fruit salads with different combinations of flavors and fruit. Sometimes it works beautifully. Sometimes, it needs the compost bin. (In one failed attempt, I combined potatoes and citrus. Totally disgusting!)

This fruit salad is a winner. I hated figs growing up, and I am still not the hugest fan of their slimy texture. But they are perfect, absolutely perfect, in this salad. I could get enough of them. They add the right amount of sweetness to the rest of the tart, salty, and spicy from the other flavors. Enjoy!


***
You Will Need:
All the following fruits should be cut/cubed in equal parts/the same size
5 Figs
2 Pears
3 Nectarines
2 large Heriloom Tomatoes

4 long, dark green Chilis (not cerranos) diced, with a pinch of Salt
1/2 large Red Onion -or- 1 small onion
4 Limes
1 Orange
1 bunch Basil, chopped with the rinds
**use 1 orange rind and 1 lemon rind to chop up with the Basil

What To Do:
Mix all ingredients (except for Limes and Orange) together, and squeeze the limes and orange on top of mixture. Let sit for 2 to 3 hours, stiring every 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment