Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cuisine: Spicy Veggie Chili

This just came together. I started cooking not knowing what I was about to prepare only that I wanted something with...even that I wasn't sure of. I selected an onion and looked at it. It looked lonely, so I added another. Then, the soyrizo, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic said "eat me", and the jar of pepperocinis and the half eaten bag of frozen corn said "finish me". I had a lone can of El Tapo tomato sauce sitting on my shelf and one can of diced tomatoes. They seemed as lonely as the onions and seemed a very fitting companion to these other fine flavors. I looked at the simmering stew, and it looked almost naked. Something was missing. I opened the cabinet and there it was. One last can of white beans. Perfecto! This spicy veggie chili was born. And with it a new recipe to pass along.

***
Ingredients
3 to 4 T olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 can diced jalapeno
5 cloves garlic, diced
1 soyrizo
1/3 jar pepperocini including garlic cloves, diced
1 can El Tapo Tomato Sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
salt
pepper

Directions
Heat two tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the onion and saute for five minutes. Add carrots and saute for another five minutes. Turn heat down to medium high and saute for another five minutes. Add the jalapeno and garlic and saute for five minutes. Add the rest of the oil and add the soyrizo. Fry for fifteen minutes. Add the pepperocini and saute for five minutes. Add the tomato sauce and entire can of tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the corn and beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 45 minutes. Serve with your favorite starch.

This was served with Orzo Casserole from Epicurean.

No comments:

Post a Comment