Friday, September 24, 2010

Cuisine: Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops

This is a recipe I crafted for Sing for Your Supper.

The potluck guidelines for this The S. Kitchen event were to bring a dish inspired by your favorite music. I thought and thought and thought about what my favorite music actually is. I like so many different types of music that picking just one is really, really difficult. Then, I thought about what I really wanted to make and to see if there was a musical genre that spoke to it.

Having been to Berlin to visit my dear friends Dan and Tomas last April, German food and German music were still swirling in my head. I started looking up different types of classic German food. But the problem with classic German food is that I hate classic German music. I do, however, love German electro.

So my husband scoured our cd racks to find German electro music to help inspire the cuisine. As I listened to the music and let Germany seep back into my blood, I found a recipe for pork chops. I knew it would be good because it included being cooked in milk with lots of cheese. In order to make it my own, I decided to kick up the seasonings because German food is not all that seasoned.

This is what was created. It was the hit of the ball and everyone loved the Parmesan crust.


***
You Will Need:
14 1/3 inch cut pork chops, trimmed of fat
1 pint buttermilk
1 jalapeno, cored and seeded and finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
6 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 tsps sweet paprika
2 tsps hot paprika
2 tsps fine German pepper
2 tsps black pepper
2 tsps garlic powder
2 TBSPs salt
2 containers grated Parmesan cheese

What To Do:
Mix the buttermilk, jalapeno, garlic and 1/4 tsp salt together and let sit for about one hour.

Pound each pork chop with a flat meat tenderizer of a small sauce pot until about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.

Beat 1/4 tsp salt into the 6 eggs until frothy. Sift remaining dry ingredients together.

Grab four containers that are large enough to lay a pork chop in without it being crowded. They could be baking dishes, flat bottomed bowls, etc. In the first container, pour in about half the buttermilk mixture. In the second one, pour in about 1/4 of the flour. In the third one, pour in the beaten eggs. In the last one, pour in about 1/4 of the Parmesan.

To assemble the pork chops: dip the chop in the buttermilk ensuring it gets fully coated. Then, dip both sides in the flour. Make sure that the flour adheres all over the pork. You may need to pat it down into the flour. Then, dip both sides in the egg. Finally, dip it in the Parmesan. The last coating will be really messy. Make sure it is covered fully otherwise it doesn't get the right flavor at the end. Finally, place it in a prepared pan. You will need to continually refill the flour and the Parmesan containers. The buttermilk and egg should be fine.

Make sure to not crowd the pork chops in the baking dish. This recipe will fit into two large aluminum trays (seven in each).

Cover the trays with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Take the trays out of the refrigerator and uncover. Pour the remaining butter milk in both trays and recover. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Then, remove the cover and bake for another 15 minutes ensuring that the breading browns.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment