Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Camaraderie: Daphne's Delectable Galettes

I love Daphne. I met her thanks to our mutual friend Beth. Beth produced a show called Provocateur: The Un-Cabaret that was performed at Mama Calizo's Voice Factory in May 2008. We were both in the show and became fast friends. It was the combination of performance, drinking, and social justice that did it. Well...that and we both love the S. in The S. Kitchen.

The other night Daphne invited John and I to dinner. I have never had dinner at Daphne's, and I was excited to see what she created. I was confident that her world travels would invade her spice cabinet and menu box. I was positive that her Canadian and American upbringing would bring fresh inspiration to the table. I was hopeful that I might find inspiration for Slowly Growing Green.

She didn't disappoint. Inspire she did. In fact, inspiration was mutual. Daphne saw the invite for Slowly Growing Green and wanted to rise to its challenge: using local ingredients as much as possible. So she created deliciously delicate mushroom galettes using herbs from her mother's garden (her mother was visiting from Canada, and while not geographically "local" it was local in relation to family) and California vegetables. It was divine, so divine that my husband, who hates mushrooms, loved it too!

Sadly, Daphne can't make it to Slowly Growing Green on Sunday, May 16th from 4pm to 7pm. She wants to be there, but a girl's got to make a living, and she is working that night. Boo!

But she will be there in spirit thanks to her galettes! I am going to tackle the recipe. Be forewarned: I am not a real baker, nor am I a pastry chef. Thus, the challenge. It will be fun. Well...at least it will be fun for me. ;) Hopefully, it turns out as delicious as hers.

And stay tuned for other inspirations for Slowly Growing Green. I am heading to the Farmer's Market today. Who knows what freshness will inspire!