Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cuisine: Jason's Chaat Masala

This was inspired by Chilis to Chutneys by Neelam Batra. I wanted to make it exactly like the recipe, so I went to the local Indian market to find the ingredients. I found almost all of them, but I didn't find the tamarind powder. I then looked in stores all over San Francisco to no avail. It was tragic.

So...I did what I do best. I improvised. And I added my own special twist. Can you tell which ingredient was mine? I'm sure you can.

****
Ingredients:
2 TBSP cumin seeds
1 TBSP carom seeds
1 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 cup mango powder
1 TBSP black salt (it is actually not salt)
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground dried mint
2 tsp spicy paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste

Directions:
Place the cumin in an electric wok and roast over high heat until they start to brown. Add the carom seeds and cook for 1 more minute. Turn heat off and stir for another 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool to room temprature.

Place cumin and carom seeds and black peppercorn in a spice grinder. Grind until it is a fine powder. Pour into a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated evenly. Store in an airtight container.