Monday, August 31, 2009

Cuisine: Mmm....Curtido

I make this dish A LOT. In fact, my husband jokes that it's one of the only things I make when we have company. He's not wrong, but why would I make something else when this is so damn good.

I got the idea of this recipe from loving the curtido you put on pupusas. (I still haven't mastered those yet. Soon. Very soon.) It can be altered very easily. I sometimes put equal parts rice vinegar, cider vinegar, and lime juice. That tastes a little more central European than this version.

This version is a great balance of ingredients. It's just slightly sour, a little bitter, and all goodness. Enjoy and let me know how you innovate on this dish. The possibilities are endless.


****
Ingredients
  • 1 head green cabbage, quartered, cored and sliced very thinly (Do not use a food processor or shredder. Those damage the leaves little too much.)
  • 3 carrots, 1 sliced with a vegetable peeler, 2 shredded with a grater
  • 4 large cloves garlic (or 6 small), minced
  • 4 jalapenoes, cored, seeded and minced
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced finely
  • 4 medium tomatoes, cored and sliced lengthwise finely
  • 3-4 limes, juiced
  • 1-2 lemon(s), juiced
  • 2 tablespoons (or more) salt
  • pepper and hot paprika to taste
Directions

Mix all ingredients together. Let sit for at least one hour. Enjoy!

It's even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment